Kate and Gerry McCann clutched a small poster with an age-enhanced image of their missing daughter. The words below the photo read: “HAVE YOU SEEN ME?” as the face of nine-year-old Madeleine stares out.
In fact, no one has seen Madeleine since she disappeared five years ago, on May 3, 2007, during a family holiday in Portugal. If she is alive, she will turn nine next week.
Yet for the first time in years the McCanns are allowing themselves to hope. That’s because Scotland Yard has agreed to review the case.
“Comparing to this time last year,” said Kate McCann at a news conference in London this afternoon, “at that point we didn’t have the review in place, and now we do. Such progress has been made, that’s definitely given us a lift and makes things more hopeful.”
Scotland Yard detectives have identified 1,995 potential new leads after sifting through 40,000 pieces of information. Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who is leading the review, said last week he believes it is possible that Madeleine was abducted from the vacation rental apartment where the family was staying while her parents had dinner at a restaurant nearby.
But there’s a problem: Portugal shelved the investigation barely a year after the girl disappeared and while a team of detectives has been appointed to re-examine the case, Portuguese authorities are showing no interest in re-opening it.
“I have no doubt about that. It will get reopened,” said Gerry McCann today. “I think the most important thing is that a lot of the investigation opportunities are in Portugal. I think it’s fairly clear that the case will have to be reopened for those to be pursued adequately. We weren’t expecting a knee-jerk reaction by any means. This is an ongoing dialogue, and I am sure the investigation will get opened again in due course.”
Read more on ABC’s Good Morning America